Have Your Cake and Eat it Too!
Allergies are more common today than 20 years ago. In an effort to help those allergic to gluten, King Arthur Flour offers a variety of goodies… including chocolate cake!
Here’s a Gluten-free recipe for you to try
Gluten-Free Banana Bread with Coconut and Flax
Yield: 1 loaf, 16 servings.
- 1 3/4 cups Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup whole flax meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 tablespoons Cake Enhancer
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups (3 large or 4 small) mashed ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon King Arthur Pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon banana flavor, optional
1) Grease a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan and preheat your oven to 350°F.
2) In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine the flour, flax meal, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum, cake enhancer, cinnamon, and nutmeg and set aside. In your mixer’s bowl, combine the brown sugar and oil until well-blended.
3) Add the eggs one at a time, beating until well-incorporated.
4) Stir in the dry ingredients, and beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds, until well combined.
5) Stir in the banana, coconut, and flavors, and blend well.
6) Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the bread’s internal temperature reaches 210°F. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before turning it out onto a rack. Cool completely before cutting.
tips from the King Arthur Flour bakers
- It’s often difficult to be sure gluten-free quick breads are fully baked in the middle. A cake tester inserted into the center may come out crumb and batter free before the bread is fully baked; thus, using an instant-read thermometer is a good idea.