- 17 chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies, crushed
- 1/4 c. butter, melted
- 1 TBsp sugar
- 3 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 3 TBsp. baking cocoa
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 1 package (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, butter and sugar. Press onto the bottom of prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the sour cream, buttermilk, cocoa and vanilla. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in food coloring. Pour over crust. Place springform pan in a large baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight. Remove sides of pan.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost top of cheesecake. Refrigerate until serving.
Yield: 16 servings.Originally published as Red Velvet Cheesecake in Country Woman December/January 2012, p42