Yield: 24 meatballs
For the meatballs:
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well (OR 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs, but meatballs will not be gluten-free)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 large shallot OR 1/2 small onion, grated or minced
- 2 garlic cloves, microplaned or minced
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (check label to ensure Gluten-Free – Lea & Perrins brand is)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
For the Honey-Balsamic BBQ Sauce:
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (check label to ensure Gluten-Free: – Lea & Perrins brand is)
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Combine ingredients for Honey-Balsamic BBQ Sauce in a saucepan then stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring every so often, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until sauce is thick and has lost its vinegary bite, stirring every so often.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a small saucepan then add rinsed quinoa, cover with a lid, turn heat down to medium-low, and then cook until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork then cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil then place a cooling rack on top and spray very well with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cooled quinoa, egg, shallot, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme and rosemary. Stir to combine then add beef and mix to combine using hands. Separate mixture into eighths, then form three meatballs from each segment, to form 24 meatballs. Place on prepared cooling rack then bake for 15-17 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center. Add meatballs to sauce then turn heat down to low to keep warm, or transfer to a crock pot set to “warm”.
For more information, check out the Iowa Girl Eats blog.