Yield: 8 servings.
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke, optional
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 12 crackers)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 8 sesame seed hamburger buns, split
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices
- Toppings of your choice
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Top with cheese. Grill 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted.
- Grill buns, cut side down, for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve burgers on buns with lettuce, tomato and toppings.
Originally published as Southwestern Backyard Burgers in Taste of Home August/September 2007, p11