Father’s Day Golf Cupcakes
Makes: 12 servings
- 1 recipe Best Chocolate Cupcakes (see below)
- 1 package purchased vanilla frosting, or 1 recipe Creamy Vanilla Frosting (see below)
- Golf tee
- Golf Ball
- Bake one batch Best Chocolate Cupcakes. Let cool.
- Use green food coloring to tint purchased vanilla frosting or Creamy Vanilla Frosting. With a pastry bag and narrow decorating tip, create thin blades of grass with upward strokes.
- For the cupcake toppers, hot-glue the golf balls to new, clean golf tees. Stick the toppers in the middle of each cupcake just before serving.
For the Best Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3 eggs
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons creme de cacao
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Separate eggs. Allow egg yolks and whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine the 6 ounces chocolate and the butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in creme de cacao; cool.
Grease and flour twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups (or line with paper bake cups or parchment paper squares)*. In a small bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed about 3 minutes or until thick and lemon color. Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Add flour mixture, beating just until combined; set aside.
Wash beaters thoroughly. In a medium bowl beat egg whites on medium to high speed just until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Stir a small amount of the beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten. Fold in the remaining beaten egg whites.
Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on a wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
Place Frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a medium star tip. Pipe long stars of frosting onto tops of cupcakes. Sprinkle with additional chopped chocolate. Makes 12 (2-1/2-inch) cupcakes.
Creamy Vanilla Frosting
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
In a large bowl combine shortening and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup powdered sugar. Beat in 2 teaspoons milk. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup additional powdered sugar. If necessary, beat in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make a frosting of piping consistency.