“Shoo, Fly! Get away from my Pie!”
This pie, from a “Classic Pennsylvania Dutch” recipe will attract many to the table.
Yield: One 9-inch pie
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell
- 1 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- To Make Bottom Layer: In a medium bowl combine molasses, hot water, and baking soda. Stir well. Whisk in beaten egg. Pour mixture into pie shell.
- To Make Crumb Topping: In a medium bowl combine flour and brown sugar. Mix well, then cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top of molasses layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Lower temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake an additional 30 minutes.