Yield: 12 Servings
- 3 pounds frozen cooked medium shrimp (with tails), thawed and drained well
- 1/4 cup roasted red sweet peppers, cut into 1/4-inch thick strips
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a 1-1/2-quart glass bowl (3-inches high, 7 1/2-inches in diameter), begin arranging shrimp, tails toward the center, in a circle to make 1 flat layer in the bottom of the bowl. (Only the round backs of the shrimp should be visible from the outside of the bowl.) Repeat layers until bowl is full, pressing down every couple layers. As bowl fills up, tuck strips of the roasted red pepper in and around shrimp forming “blood vessels”. (It helps to peer through the sides of glass bowl to adjust as necessary.) When bowl is full, press down firmly with a plate that fits inside the bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine chicken broth and unflavored gelatin; let stand 5 minutes. Cook and stir over medium heat until gelatin has dissolved. Whisk in lemon peel, lemon juice, tomato paste, honey, garlic, salt, ginger, and cayenne pepper until combined. Pour mixture over shrimp in bowl. Cover and chill at least 5 hours or overnight.
- To unmold, set bowl in a sink filled with warm water for several seconds. Invert a large plate with sides over bowl. Invert plate and bowl together and remove bowl to un-mold. Cover and chill until needed (up to 24 hours).