Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot (1 medium)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion (1 small)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 pound ground beef chuck*
- 1 pound ground beef sirloin*
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, carrot, onion, and garlic; cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. In a large bowl combine eggs, milk, the 3 tablespoons ketchup, the 1 tablespoon mustard, the Worcestershire sauce, and kosher salt. Add bread crumbs and vegetable mixture, stirring until evenly moistened.
- Add ground beef; using your clean hands, mix well. Line a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with foil. Lightly pat the mixture into a 9×5-inch loaf in the prepared dish.
- For glaze, in a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup ketchup, the brown sugar, and the 2 teaspoons mustard; set aside. (For a change of pace, substitute one of the glaze options below for the ketchup-brown sugar glaze.)
- Bake about 1 hour or until internal temperature registers 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, spooning glaze over meat loaf for the last 25 minutes of baking.
- Let the meat loaf stand for 10 minutes. Using two spatulas, transfer loaf to a serving platter; cut into eight slices.
From the Test Kitchen
- Apricot-Mustard Glaze: Stir together 1/2 cup apricot preserves and 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard. Nutrition analysis per serving: 387 calories, 26 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 18 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 13 g total sugar, 3% Vitamin A, 6% Vitamin C, 546 mg sodium, 7% calcium, 20% iron
- Peach-Chile Glaze: Stir together 1/2 cup peach preserves, 2 teaspoons Asian chili sauce with garlic, and 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger. Nutrition analysis per serving: 383 calories, 26 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 18 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 13 g total sugar, 3% Vitamin A, 6% Vitamin C, 484 mg sodium, 7% calcium, 20% iron
- Cranberry Glaze: Stir together 1/2 cup ketchup and 1/4 cup whole cranberry sauce. Nutrition analysis per serving: 356 calories, 26 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 18 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 10 g total sugar, 6% Vitamin A, 7% Vitamin C, 618 mg sodium, 7% calcium, 20% iron
- Strawberry Glaze: In a blender combine 1 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup plum jam, 3 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon ground ancho chile peppers, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cover and blend until smooth. In a small saucepan heat strawberry mixture until boiling; boil gently for 10 minutes. Cool slightly before spooning over meat loaf. Nutrition analysis per serving: 391 calories, 26 g protein, 29 g carbohydrate, 18 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 14 g total sugar, 3% Vitamin A, 25% Vitamin C, 536 mg sodium, 7% calcium, 21% iro
If you like, substitute 8 ounces bulk sweet Italian sausage, uncooked ground turkey, or ground pork for 8 ounces of the ground beef.
Per serving: 369 kcal cal., 18 g fat (6 g sat. fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat, 7 g monounsatured fat), 123 mg chol., 649 mg sodium, 24 g carb., 1 g fiber, 13 g sugar, 26 g pro. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet