Yield: 1 loaf (16 Servings)
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) wheat beer
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, mix flour, oats and brown sugar. In another bowl, mix bananas, beer and maple syrup until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Transfer to a greased 9×5-in. loaf pan. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with sesame seeds and salt. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool.
1 slice equals 173 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 304 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Beernana Bread in Simple & Delicious June/July 2013, p52