- 1 1/2 pounds round red or white potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon white or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped ( 1/2 cup)
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- Paprika, if desired
- Place potatoes in 3-quart saucepan; add enough water to cover potatoes. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cook covered 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut potatoes into cubes.
- Mix mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in large glass or plastic bowl.
- Add potatoes, celery and onion; toss. Stir in eggs. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to blend flavors and chill. Store covered in refrigerator.
- For a slightly sweet potato salad, add 1/3 to 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish in step 2.
- Trim fat grams by using fat-free mayonnaise and just 2 eggs.
- Round red and white potatoes are waxy and work best for potato salad because the pieces stay firm when fully cooked. Baking potatoes, which are starchy, tend to break apart and become mushy in salads.