“Slab pie” is a pastry baked in a jelly-roll pan and cut in slabs like a bar cookie—or a pie bar, if you will. My grandfather was a professional baker and served pieces of slab pie to his customers back in the day. Here is my spin, featuring rhubarb and gorgeous red raspberries. —Jeanne Ambrose, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Yield: 24 (2 dozen) Servings
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed and drained
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Whisk 3/4 cup milk and egg yolk; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Add additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary.
- Divide dough in two portions so that one is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Roll out larger portion of dough between two large sheets of lightly floured waxed paper into an 18×13-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Press onto the bottom and up sides of pan; trim pastry to edges of pan.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add raspberries and rhubarb; toss to coat. Spoon into pastry.
- Roll out remaining dough; place over filling. Fold bottom pastry over edge of top pastry; seal with a fork. Prick top with a fork.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For icing, combine confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency; drizzle over pie. Cut pie into squares.
Editor’s Note: If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
1 piece equals 247 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 159 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Originally published as Raspberry-Rhubarb Slab Pie in Taste of Home April/May 2012, p40