Yield: 16 Servings
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 8-ounce carton dairy sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 recipe Fudgy Frosting
- Let eggs stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In small bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In large bowl beat shortening and sugar on medium speed until combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in melted chocolate and sour cream. Alternately add flour mixture and milk; beat on low after each addition just until combined. Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans. Using a small offset spatula or rubber spatula, smooth the top of batter in each pan.
- Bake 25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Using a small metal spatula, loosen sides of each cake layer. Place a wire rack on top of one pan; carefully invert pan with rack. Lift pan off cake layer. Repeat with the remaining cake layer. Cool cake layers on wire racks about 2 hours or until completely cool.
- Prepare Fudgy Frosting. Place one layer flat side down on plate. Spread top with 1 cup frosting. Stack second layer flat side down. Spread the top and sides with the remaining frosting. Makes 16 servings.
- 1 12-ounce package semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 8-ounce carton sour cream
- 4 1/2 cups (1 lb.) sifted powdered sugar
In large pan over low heat melt and stir semisweet chocolate pieces and butter. Cool 10 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Stir in powdered sugar; stir until smooth. Makes 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Sour Cream Cake with Fudgy Frosting)
Per serving: 555 kcal cal., 27 g fat (14 g sat. fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat, 9 g monounsatured fat), 56 mg chol., 201 mg sodium, 77 g carb., 2 g fiber, 63 g sugar, 4 g pro. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet