Recipe by Sara Quessenberry for Real Simple©
You can make these sweet treats up to one week ahead of time. Let them cool completely and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Yield: 24 cookies
- One 14-ounce package sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large egg whites
- Heat oven to 325° F. In a large bowl, combine the coconut, almonds, sugar, lemon zest, and salt. Mix in the egg whites.
- Drop mounds of the mixture (each equal to 2 tablespoons) onto 2 parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 1½ inches apart.
- Bake, switching the baking sheets halfway through, until the edges begin to brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool slightly on baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.