Yield: 10 Servings
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 3-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in soup. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.
- In a greased 13×9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: potatoes, ham, cheese and sauce. Repeat layers.
Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 40-50 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
1 serving equals 417 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 1267 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Originally published as White Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes in Taste of Home December/January 2006, p27