Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon butte
- Place green beans on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and dot with butter. Fold foil around beans, sealing tightly.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat 9-11 minutes on each side or until beans are tender. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.
3/4 cup equals 56 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 109 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Grilled Cajun Green Beans in Taste of Home‘s Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p204
Yield: 8 Servings
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3-1/2 to 4 pounds each), cut up
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 2-2/3 cups flour, garlic salt, paprika, 2-1/2 teaspoons pepper and poultry seasoning. In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and water; add salt and the remaining flour and pepper. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then place in the bag, a few pieces at a time. Seal bag and shake to coat.
- In a deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry chicken, several pieces at a time, for 5-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown and juices run clear. Drain on paper towels.
Originally published as Crispy Fried Chicken in Taste of Home June/July 1997, p18
Yield: 12 Servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 12 medium ears sweet corn, husks removed
- Grated cotija cheese, optional
- In a small bowl, mix butter, cilantro, lime juice and lime peel. Shape into a log; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm. Wrap each ear of corn with a piece of heavy-duty foil (about 14 in. square).
- Grill corn, covered, over medium heat 15-20 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Meanwhile, cut lime butter into 12 slices. Remove corn from grill. Carefully open foil, allowing steam to escape. Serve corn with butter and, if desired, cheese.
1 ear of corn with 2 teaspoons butter (calculated without cheese) equals 145 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 67 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Originally published as Corn with Cilantro-Lime Butter in Taste of Home June/July 2013