We have this chili often because everyone loves it, even the most finicky grandchildren. It’s also earned thumbs up with family and friends who’ve tried it in other states. It’s a definite “keeper” in my book! —Kimberly Nagy, Port Hadlock, Washington
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions
- Saute the onion and green and yellow peppers in oil in a large skillet until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Crumble turkey into skillet. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the pumpkin, tomatoes, chili powder, pepper and salt. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours. Serve with toppings of your choice.
1-1/4 cups (calculated without optional toppings): 281 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 468mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Autumn Pumpkin Chili in Simple & Delicious October/November 2012, p56
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine
Yield: 6 Servings
Photograph by Andrew Mccaul
- 13 gingersnaps, chocolate wafers or graham crackers
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 2 1/2 teaspoons bourbon
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- Put 7 cookies in a resealable plastic bag and crush into crumbs with a heavy pan. Brush the bottoms and about 1 inch up the sides of 6 parfait glasses with the butter. Add a spoonful of crumbs to each and roll them around the insides of the glasses; pour out the excess crumbs and reserve for topping. Refrigerate the prepared glasses.
- Put 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, the pumpkin, 1 1/2 teaspoons bourbon and the nutmeg in a food processor. Pulse until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Put the white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 50% power until melted, about 1 minute, stirring halfway. Add to the pumpkin mixture and process until combined. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Beat 1 /12 cups cream in a bowl with a mixer until soft peaks form; fold into the pumpkin mixture until smooth. Divide among the prepared glasses and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Beat the remaining 1/2 cup cream with a mixer until foamy. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon bourbon and beat until soft peaks form. Top the parfaits with the whipped cream, reserved cookie crumbs and the remaining 6 cookies.