We have this chili often because everyone loves it, even the most finicky grandchildren. It’s also earned thumbs up with family and friends who’ve tried it in other states. It’s a definite “keeper” in my book! —Kimberly Nagy, Port Hadlock, Washington
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions
- Saute the onion and green and yellow peppers in oil in a large skillet until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Crumble turkey into skillet. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the pumpkin, tomatoes, chili powder, pepper and salt. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours. Serve with toppings of your choice.
1-1/4 cups (calculated without optional toppings): 281 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 468mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Autumn Pumpkin Chili in Simple & Delicious October/November 2012, p56