Yield: 8-10 Servings
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 50 slices pepperoni
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pitted ripe olive, sliced and cut in half
- Roll out each piece of dough into a rounded triangle shape, about 14-in. high x 11-in. wide at the base of the triangle. Place each on a parchment-lined baking sheet with the tip of the triangle toward you. Lightly score 4-in.-wide rectangle in the center of the triangle 2 in. from the top and bottom.
- On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips at an angle up to the score line, leaving a triangle in the top center of the wide end for the head.
- Inside the scored rectangle in the center, layer the cheese, pizza sauce, pepperoni and green pepper. Shape the top center triangle into a head. Starting at the head, fold alternating strips of dough at an angle across filling stopping at the last strip on each side.
- Fold the bottom dough tip up over the filling, then fold the remaining two strips over the top; press down firmly.
- Brush dough with egg. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes. For eyes, press 1 olive slice into each head. Discard or save the remaining slices for another use.
- Bake at 350 ° for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
1 slice: 358 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 831mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Yummy Mummy Calzones in Taste of Home’s Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p238