- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup water, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Place a baking stone or a large baking sheet in the oven and preheat at 450°F with the rack on the middle shelf.
- Combine all of the ingredients in the bowl of a mixer and stir until the dough comes together in a ragged ball. Fit the mixer with the dough hook attachment and knead on medium speed until the dough pulls away from the edges of the bowl. If the dough seems sticky, add a tiny bit of flour as necessary.
- Place the dough in a well-oiled container and let rest for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and divide into 6 equal pieces. Flatten the pieces into discs and cover. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes to relax.
- Working with one piece at a time, roll the dough out until roughly 1 foot in diameter, making sure to dust with flour underneath to keep the dough from sticking. Poke the flattened dough a few times with a fork. Using a paddle or a floured baking sheet, slide the dough directly onto the bread stone or hot baking sheet. Bake for 3 minutes then flip and bake for 3 more. The bread should be lightly browned on both sides.
- Remove the bread from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough. If the bread is not crisp after the first bake, or if it goes stale, it can always be refreshed in a hot oven. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.