Yield: 12 Servings
- 6 hard-cooked eggs*
- 1/4cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Capers, carrots pieces and fresh herbs
- Halve hard-cooked eggs crosswise and remove yolks. Set whites aside. Place yolks in a small bowl; mash with a fork. Add mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar; mix well. If desired, season with salt and black pepper. Place yolk mixture into a resealable plastic bag and close bag while removing excess air. Snip off a small corner of the bag and pipe the filling into the bottom half of the egg white. Place other half of egg on top to form the “chick”. Add capers for eyes and pieces of carrots for the beak. Add fresh herbs, as desired.
- Cover and chill until serving time (up to 24 hours).
From the Better Homes and Gardens™ Test Kitchen
*TO HARD COOK EGGS:
To hard-cook the eggs, place 6 large eggs in a single layer in a large saucepan (do not stack eggs). Add enough cold water to cover the eggs by 1 inch. Bring to a rapid boil over high heat (water will have large rapidly breaking bubbles). Remove from heat; cover and let stand 15 minutes. Drain. Run cold water over the eggs or place them in ice water until cool enough to handle; drain. To peel eggs, gently tap each egg on the countertop. Roll the egg between the palms of your hands. Peel off the eggshell, starting at the large end.
Nutrition Facts (Deviled Egg Chicks)
Per serving: 72 kcal cal., 6 g fat,(1 g sat. fat, 109 mg chol., 62 mg sodium, 0 g carb., 0 g fiber,3 g pro., Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet