Recipe by Lisa Johnson for the blog Cooking with Curls©
Yield: 6 Servings
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 Cups milk or half & half (I used unsweetened cashew milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon dry mustard powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 8 Ounces Vermont sharp white cheddar cheese
- Package frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
- green food coloring (optional)
- 1 Pound box pasta, cooked and drained (I used medium shells)
- 1 head fresh caulflower (steamed**)
- Melt butter in a large pan/Dutch oven over medium to low heat. Add the flour and whisk to combine. Simmer, stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour in milk. Whisk to combine in order to remove all lumps. Then add salt, pepper, onion powder, paprika, cayenne and mustard. Stir to combine. Continue cooking until mixture starts to simmer, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the grated cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add the drained spinach and stir. If desired, add a few drops of green food coloring.
- Add the drained pasta. Stir until completely coated. Then add the steamed cauliflower. **
- Serve immediately.
**Lisa left the cauliflower in large chunks and waited until the very end to add them so they would stay whole, and so they would look creepier sitting near the top.