“I love both red velvet cake and cheesecake. So why not combine them into one stunning dessert? It’s best when served chilled, right out of the fridge”. —Melissa Gaines, Knoxville, Tennessee
Yield: 16 Servings
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line bottom of a 9-in. springform pan with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in sour cream, flour and vanilla. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until blended. Pour into prepared pan. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until center is set. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife. Cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate until ready to assemble, covering when completely cooled.
- For cake, increase oven setting to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in enough confectioners’ sugar to reach desired consistency. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1 cup frosting. Carefully place cheesecake over frosting.
- Spread cheesecake with another 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Refrigerate overnight before serving.