- kosher salt
- 2 lb. green beans
- 6 slice bacon
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 4 clove garlic
- 1/4 c. apricot jam
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt, then the green beans, and cook until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a paper towel–lined plate. Let cool, then break into pieces.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the jam, vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the green beans and toss to coat. Fold in the bacon.
Tips & Techniques
Recipe by Taste of Home©
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) strawberry jelly
- 2 liters lemon-lime soda, divided
- 2 quarts peppermint stick ice cream
- Miniature candy canes, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt jelly with 2 cups soda. Chill the jelly mixture and remaining soda.
- Just before serving, place 6 cups ice cream in a punch bowl. Gently stir in jelly mixture. Add remaining soda. Add remaining ice cream by scoopfuls.
- Garnish with candy canes if desired.
1 cup: 270 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Candy Cane Punch in Crafting Traditions November/December 1999
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 pita pocket halves
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, milk and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in the chicken, green pepper, onions, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper; refrigerate.
- Just before serving, stir in walnuts. Spoon about 1/2 cup filling into each pita half.
Originally published as Nutty Chicken Pita Sandwiches in Taste of Home April/May 1996
Recipe by Rachel Cooks
Yield: 1 Sandwich
- 1-2 tablespoons spreadable or softened butter
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- sliced cheese
- 8 stick pretzels
- 2 dried cranberries or raisins
- Preheat skillet or griddle to medium heat
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place bread butter side down on pan and top with cheese. Top with other slice of bread so the butter is face up. (Y’all probably know how to make a grilled cheese…right?)
- Cook until golden brown on the first side (2-3 minutes), flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, about another 2 minutes. Voila, grilled cheese!
- Place on cutting board or place and use a large biscuit cutter to cut into a circle. Snack on the edges that you cut off! Stick pretzels in the edges to look like legs, and place dried cranberries on to look like eyes. Serve immediately!