Be careful and have fun celebrating the 4th of July!
Yield: 8 Servings
- 12 small fingerling or round new potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1/3cup sour cream and chives dip
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup blue cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 2s lices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
- 4 crisp breadsticks, broken
- Sea salt or salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Arrange potatoes in a single layer on clean white paper towels in the microwave. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 5 minutes. Turn potatoes; microwave on high about 3 minutes more or until tender.
- Place cauliflower and the water in a 1-1/2-quart microwave-safe casserole. Microwave on high for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring once. Drain. Cool slightly.
- In a large serving bowl combine potatoes, cauliflower, onion, and celery. In a small bowl stir together dip, lemon juice, and salad oil; gently toss with potato mixture and fold in blue cheese. Chill for 1 to 24 hours. Just before serving, top with parsley, bacon, breadsticks, sea salt, and pepper.
Nutrition Facts (Potato-Cauliflower Salad)
Per serving: 152 kcal cal., 7 g fat (2 g sat. fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat,3 g monounsatured fat), 12 mg chol., 299 mg sodium, 18 g carb., 3 g fiber,3 g sugar, 5 g pro.Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Recipe by Better Homes and Gardens™
Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 1/2pounds lean ground beef
- 1cup crumbled blue cheese (4 ounces)
- 1cup finely chopped onion
- 18 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup diced ham
- 12.8 ounce package cooked bacon pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 hamburger buns or plain bagel thins
- Leaf lettuce (optional)
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced (optional)
- In a very large bowl combine beef, blue cheese, onion, pineapple, ham, bacon pieces, pepper, and garlic powder; mix well. Shape meat mixture into eight 1-inch-thick patties.
- For a charcoal grill, place patties on the grill rack directly over medium coals. Grill, covered, for 12 to 14 minutes or until done (160 degrees F to 165 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling. Top burgers with cheddar cheese. Continue to grill, covered, for 2 minutes more or until cheese is melted. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on grill rack over heat. Cover; grill as directed.) Serve burgers on buns. If desired, top with lettuce, tomato, and onion.
Nutrition Facts (Hawaiian Burger)
Per serving: 596 kcal cal., 32 g fat (15 g sat. fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 8 g monounsatured fat), 137 mg chol., 951 mg sodium, 27 g carb.,2 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 46 g pro. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 6 cups tortilla or corn chips
- 4 to 5 cups shredded lettuce
- 9 to 10 pitted large olives, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Place chips in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Spread beef mixture evenly over the top. Cover with lettuce. For each star, arrange five olive slices together in the upper left corner. To form stripes, add cheese and tomatoes in alternating rows. Serve immediately.
Editor’s Note: If you wish to prepare this salad in advance, omit the layer of chips and serve them with the salad.
1 cup: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Originally published as Patriotic Taco Salad in Taste of Home’s Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p211