5 Fun Facts about BBQ from Foodimentary.com
- Grilling is no longer considered a male dominated activity. While 51 percent of males cha-cha with the charcoal, 49 percent of women flamenco with the flames.
- 263,000 moist towelettes will wipe up BBQ sauce covering fingers and faces.
- The most common ingredient added to barbecue sauce is garlic, followed by brown sugar.
- The original barbecue sauce, dating back hundreds of years, consisted of vinegar and pepper.
- Lyndon B. Johnson, the 36th president of the United States, hosted the first barbecue at the White House that featured Texas-style barbecued ribs.
LYNDON JOHNSON’S FAVORITE BARBEQUE SAUCE
- 1/4 c. butter or margarine
- 1/4 c. cider vinegar
- 1/4 c. ketchup
- 1/4 c. lemon juice
- 1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 t. Tabasco sauce
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in a saucepan.
- If baking chicken, pour over the chicken pieces in a foil lined pan.
- Bake, uncovered at 350° for 1 hour, basting occasionally. This is enough sauce to cover 6 large pieces of chicken. If baking more, this recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- Refrigerate leftover sauce.
Find Walter “The Barbecue King” Jetton’s recipe here. He was instrumental in making LBJ’s barbecue events successful.