Yield: 2-1/2 cups
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, chili powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
Transfer sauce to the jar of a blender and blend until smooth. Let cool to room temperature, transfer to a jar and store in refrigerator for up to a month.