Yield: 1-1/3 cups, approximately 6 Servings
Slow Cook: 6 to 7 hours on low or 3 to 3-1/2 hours on high
- 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 3 cups bite-size cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped*
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 32-ounce carton reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Snipped fresh cilantro
- Sliced jalapeno (optional)
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine mashed potatoes, cauliflower, onion, jalapeno pepper, ginger, garlic, salt, cumin, turmeric, and paprika. Stir in broth.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Cool slightly.**
- Transfer cauliflower mixture, half at a time, to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. If necessary, return pureed mixture to cooker; cover and cook on high-heat setting until heated through.
- If desired, garnish each serving with yogurt, cilantro, and/or sliced jalapeno.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
If desired, omit Step 3 and serve immediately from slow cooker.
Per serving: 131 kcal cal., 1 g fat (1 g sat. fat, 0 g polyunsaturated fat, 0 g monounsatured fat), 3 mg chol., 902 mg sodium, 24 g carb., 3 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 7 g pro.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet