Recipe courtesy of Jeff Mauro
Yield: 20 “eyeball” sandwiches
- 20 slices white bread, such as Arnold Brick Oven White Sandwich Bread
- 2 cups smoked cooked ham, chopped (about 8 ounces)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon pickled relish
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Kosher salt
- 10 pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced in half
- Ketchup, for squirting
- Special equipment: 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter
- Punch out rounds from the bread using a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Lay out the rounds on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Add the ham, mayonnaise, honey, mustard, relish, Worcestershire and hot sauce in the bowl of a food processor. Sprinkle with salt and pulse until finely chopped, but still chunky.
- Spoon a tablespoon at a time of the ham mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll each spoonful into round balls. Stuff 1 olive into the center of each ball for eyes.
- Lay the balls in the center of the bread rounds. Squirt ketchup around the edges of the bread to mimic veins.
- Serve to kids and pray they don’t cry from how scary these are.