Make patties: In a large bowl, combine beef, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and form into 4 oval patties.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Sear both sides of the patties until a crust forms, about 5 minutes per side. Remove onto a plate.
Make gravy: Wipe out skillet and add butter. Add onions and thyme and stir until onion becomes translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until browned and tender, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle onions and mushrooms with flour, and stir until they are fully coated. Cook another 2 minutes, then add Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and beef stock. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.
Bring the gravy to a simmer and return the patties to the skillet. Cover and cook for 10 to 15 more minutes, until the patties are done and the sauce has thickened. Plate the patties and top with more gravy. Serve.
1/2 cup roasted peanuts or toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
1. Cover cookie sheet or tray with wax paper.
2. Place chocolate in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chocolate is melted and smooth when stirred.
3. Immediately place peanut butter chips and shortening in second microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred; stir in peanuts.
4. Alternately spoon above mixtures onto prepared tray; swirl with knife for marbled effect. Gently tap tray on countertop to even out thickness of mixture. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm. Break into pieces. Store in cool, dry place. About 1 pound candy.
* To toast almonds: Heat oven to 350°F. Spread almonds in thin layer in shallow baking pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown; cool.