Reportedly, the 14th United States President Franklin Pierce enjoyed this appetizer. The recipe is below so you can judge for yourself if it is good.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 or 2 medium Jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 1/2 c. cooked tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 5 c. Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp. celery salt
- Thin slices of toasted French bread
Directions: In a frying pan, cook onions and garlic in oil until translucent. Add Jalapeño peppers and tomatoes. Simmer 10 minutes. Drain excess cooking liquid.
Add cheese and celery salt. Continue to simmer 10 minutes more.
Serve warm or chilled with toasted French bread.
Yield: 14 servings (about 1/2c. each)
Calories: 195 per serving