by Liza Jernow
Yield: 12 Apples
- 12 baby Granny Smith apples
- 12 wooden candy apple sticks or dowels
- 1½ c. sugar
- ½ c. light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. black gel paste food coloring
- Wash and dry apples thoroughly. Place on a baking sheet and poke firmly with dowels. Line a second baking sheet with buttered parchment paper, and set aside.
- Place a candy thermometer in a medium saucepan and add sugar, 3/4 cups water, and corn syrup. Place over medium heat; whisk until sugar is dissolved. Let the temperature rise without stirring until it reaches the hard-crack mark at 310 degreesF. Remove pan from heat. Carefully remove thermometer, and add food coloring.
- Swirl pan to mix in the color completely. Swipe and twirl the apple through the candy, shake off excess, and place on buttered baking sheet. Repeat with remaining apples.
For more, log on to Country Living.