- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup water, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Place a baking stone or a large baking sheet in the oven and preheat at 450°F with the rack on the middle shelf.
- Combine all of the ingredients in the bowl of a mixer and stir until the dough comes together in a ragged ball. Fit the mixer with the dough hook attachment and knead on medium speed until the dough pulls away from the edges of the bowl. If the dough seems sticky, add a tiny bit of flour as necessary.
- Place the dough in a well-oiled container and let rest for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and divide into 6 equal pieces. Flatten the pieces into discs and cover. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes to relax.
- Working with one piece at a time, roll the dough out until roughly 1 foot in diameter, making sure to dust with flour underneath to keep the dough from sticking. Poke the flattened dough a few times with a fork. Using a paddle or a floured baking sheet, slide the dough directly onto the bread stone or hot baking sheet. Bake for 3 minutes then flip and bake for 3 more. The bread should be lightly browned on both sides.
- Remove the bread from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough. If the bread is not crisp after the first bake, or if it goes stale, it can always be refreshed in a hot oven. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Click here to learn more about Abigail’s Bakery.
from all recipes.com
Photo by All Recipes.com
Yield: 12 Servings
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1 1/2c. milk
- 4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 c. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 c. ricotta cheese
- 2 c. cubed, cooked chicken
- 2 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 TBsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, and rinse with cold water.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the butter until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in the flour and salt, and simmer until bubbly. Mix in the broth and milk, and boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Season with the basil, oregano, and ground black pepper. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Spread 1/3 of the sauce mixture in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Layer with 1/3 of the noodles, the ricotta, and the chicken. Arrange 1/3 of the noodles over the chicken, and layer with 1/3 of the sauce mixture, spinach, and the remaining 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Arrange remaining noodles over cheese, and spread remaining sauce evenly over noodles. Sprinkle with parsley and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven.