- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 2 c. onions, chopped
- 4 c. water
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 1/2 c. (8oz.) ham, diced
- Three 5 oz. bags saffron yellow rice (the Mahatma® brand is recommended)
- Two 10 oz. boxes frozen cut okra, thawed
- 1 lb. raw, peeled shrimp
Directions: Heat oil in a large pan. Add onions and sauté until golden, approx. 3 to 4 inches. Add water, red pepper and ham. Bring to a boil, stir in rice mix, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in okra and shrimp. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, approx. 7 minutes or until shrimp are cooked and rice is tender. Keep warm in a Crock-pot on low heat.
Yield: 8 servings (385 calories)
These tangy Asian-inspired nuggets go a long way. We eat them over noodles or rice, in sandwiches, even on top of lettuce and cabbage. —Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon for Taste of Home©
Yield: 4 Servings
- 16 ounces frozen popcorn chicken (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- Bake popcorn chicken according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in orange peel, juice, hoisin sauce, sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-6 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken to skillet; toss to coat. Serve with rice.
1 cup (calculated without rice): 450 calories, 20g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 1294mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.