Recipe by Moonbugz_ as featured on the Genius Kitchen website
Yield: 5 lbs. meat
- 5 lbs. rump roast (do not substitute for a different type of roast)
- Two (10 1/4 oz.) cans beef consommé (broth)
- One (1 oz.) package Good Seasonings Italian salad dressing mix
- Pepperoncini pepper (1/2-1 jars depending on level of spiciness)
- Giardiniera (1/2-1jars)
- 3 to 5 Sweet Green Peppers (according to size)
- 1 loaf long thin French bread
- Cook first 5 ingredients in a Crockpot on “Low” for 18 hours.
- Turn over at the 6th and 12th hour interval.
- At the 17th hour, cut sweet green peppers into 1/8ths lengths and slice on the side lengthwise.
- Pull roast apart with a fork. Using tongs, pile bread with meat and juice. (Do not let juice drain before putting on bread. The juice is half the taste of the sandwich.) Lay strips of green pepper on top of meat.
- Salt to taste.
by Laura Himmelein
- Green beans
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Your choice of Dip
- Put a dip of your choice in a small bowl and set in the center of a serving platter. Spread some dip onto carrot tips to form fingernails; set on platter.
- Heap green beans next to carrots. Dot ends of beans with ketchup to create snake eyes.
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half and place on platter, flat side up; top with an olive slice and a pea to create eyes.
For the recipe of Hootwiches (seen pictured above), click here on www.parenting.com website.
Yield: 3 Servings
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, onion, salt and pepper. Stir in eggs and celery. Cover and refrigerate.
1/2 cup (calculated without lettuce leaf or bread) equals 294 calories, 25 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 431 mg cholesterol, 438 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 13 g protein.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Egg Salad in Taste of Home April/May 1994, p15