Here’s a stress-free recipe that’ll impress Grandma herself! Seasonings and a shallot add wonderful flavor` to this velvety gravy, which tastes just as good the next day. —Jesse Klausmeier, Burbank, California
Yield: 2 cups (approx. 16 servings)
- Reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pour drippings into a 2-cup measuring cup. Skim fat, reserving 1/4 cup. Add enough broth to the drippings to measure 2 cups.
- Saute shallot in reserved fat in a small saucepan. Stir in the flour, salt, onion powder, poultry seasoning and pepper until blended; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until browned (do not burn). Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Originally published as Grandma’s Turkey Gravy in Simple & Delicious October/November 2012, p46