A classic goes wild!
Here’s a twist on the classic chocolate chip cookie that will leave you spellbound this Halloween.
Spider Cookies with Chocolate Chips
by Colleen Riley for Real Simple.com
Yield: 24 Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room teperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup, plus 24, chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the egg, then the vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Fold in ¾ cup of the chocolate chips.
- Drop mounds of the dough (about 1 ½ tablespoon each) 2 inches apart onto the baking sheets. Press one chocolate chip, pointed-side down, into the top of each cookie. Bake, rotating the sheets halfway though, until golden brown around the edges, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips and oil in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Dip a toothpick in the melted chocolate and draw legs around the exposed chip.
Just a Note: To make the spiders even spookier, press red Nonpareils into the chocolate chip (you may need to use tweezers) when the cookies first come out of the oven.
I want my Mummy!
Pillsbury™ Offers a Fast Easy Way to Make Halloween Tasty
- 1 package Pillsbury™ Ready To Bake!™ refrigerated chocolate chip cookies
- 1 container (1 lb) vanilla creamy ready-to-spread frosting
- Neon orange and green food colors
- Candy eyes
- Heat oven to 350°F. Bake cookies as directed on package. Cool completely.
- Separate frosting into 2 small bowls; add food colors to make desired neon orange and neon green colors.
- Spoon colored frostings into decorating bags fitted with flat basket weave tip #45. Squeeze bag to pipe frosting in crisscross pattern over cookies to look like mummy bandages. Attach candy eyes. Let stand until set, about 20 minutes.
- Be creative with any color you choose to decorate your mummies. If you don’t have food color on hand, use vanilla or chocolate frosting. Don’t have candy eyes? Use miniature candy-coated chocolate candies instead.
Don’t have decorating tips or bags at home? Instead, spoon frosting into a resealable food-storage plastic bag, and cut about 1/4 inch off corner of bag to pipe mummy bandages onto the cookies.
Chocolate Chip Werewolf Cookies
Get creative with these cookies that will leave your guests howling for more.
- 1 package (16 oz) Pillsbury™ Ready to Bake!™ refrigerated chocolate chip cookies (24 cookies)
- 1- 1/2 cups ready-to-spread chocolate frosting (from 16-oz. can)
- Assorted small candies
- Bake cookies as directed on package. Cool completely, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spoon frosting into resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Cut tiny hole in bottom corner of food storage plastic bag.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cookies to resemble hair. Attach candies with small amount of frosting to decorate face as desired.