Strawberry-Orange Vinegar DressingThis light and refreshing strawberry-orange dressing from our Test Kitchen will nicely accent any fresh green salad. Use your favorite salad greens or a ready-to-serve package to keep things simple. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Yield: 1-2/3 cups or 26 Servings
- 1 medium orange
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 c. sliced fresh strawberries
- Using a citrus zester, peel rind from orange in long narrow strips (being careful not to remove pith). In a large saucepan, heat vinegar and sugar to just below the boiling point. Place strawberries in a warm sterilized quart jar; add heated vinegar mixture and orange peel. Cover and let stand in a cool dark place 10 days.
- Strain mixture through a cheesecloth; discard pulp and orange rind. Pour into a sterilized pint jar. Seal tightly. Store in the refrigerator up to 6 months.
1 tablespoon equals 15 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: Free food.
Originally published as Strawberry Orange Vinegar in Healthy Cooking April/May 2012, p31
Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup Strawberry Orange Vinegar (see above recipe) or raspberry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
2 tablespoons equals 108 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 74 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing in Healthy Cooking April/May 2012, p33