Yield: 12 Servings
- 2 3/4 c. sifted flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 c. buttermilk
- 2/3 c. chocolate-flavored syrup
- Semisweet Chocolate Icing
Semisweet Chocolate Icing: In small saucepan heat 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces, 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, 1 tablespoon light corn syrup and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla over low heat, stirring until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Use immediately.
- Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat margarine or butter on low to medium speed with an electric mixer about 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low to medium speed 1 minute after each addition and scraping bowl frequently. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to beaten mixture, beating at a low speed after each addition just until combined. Reserve 2 cups batter. Turn remaining batter into prepared pan.
- In a small mixing bowl combine chocolate-flavored syrup and reserved 2 cups batter. Beat at a low speed until well combined. Pour chocolate batter over vanilla batter in pan. Do NOT Mix.
- Bake 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Cool 15 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack. Drizzle cake with Semisweet Chocolate Icing.