- 5-7 oz. Gouda Cheese
- 8-10 oz. Soft Cheddar Cheese Spread
- 12 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp. Grated Onion
- 1 tsp. Season Salt (optional)
- 1 c. Chopped Pecans or Walnuts
- 1/4 c. Parsely Flakes
Directions: Shred Gouda Cheese. Let all cheese get room temperature. Combine all cheeses in mixer bowl. Add onion, Worcestershire sauce, season salt and 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts. Mix well. Refrigerate until firm. Form into balls. Roll in Parsley flakes and remaining nuts. Can be frozen until ready for use.
Make-Ahead Jimmy Dean® Pork Sausage Ball Appetizer
These tasty sausage balls can even be made ahead of time, and frozen. Just thaw and bake when you need them…but you may not want to wait that long!
- 2 (16 ounce) packages Regular Flavor Jimmy Dean® Pork Sausage (Sage pork sausage is also a good choice)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose baking mix, such as Bisquick®
- 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)
Directions: Preheat oven to 375° F. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Form into 1inch balls. Place on un-greased baking sheet; bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; cool 5 minutes before removing from pan. Serve with cocktail forks or toothpicks.ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2012 Allrecipes.com
Italian-Style Sausage Cheese Balls
Makes: 20 servings (2 balls each)
- 1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Regular Flavor Pork Sausage Roll
- 3/4 cup all-purpose baking mix, such as Bisquick®
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 c. packed fresh spinach leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 c. finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 lg. clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
Directions: Preheat oven to 375° F. Mix ingredients just until blended. Shape into 40 (1-inch) balls; place in single layer in two lightly greased shallow baking pans. Bake 12-14 minutes or until done (160° F). Serve with toothpicks. Sausage balls can be shaped ahead of time and frozen. When ready to serve, heat oven to 375° F. Place frozen balls on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake (160° F) for 16-18 minutes at or until done.
If using 1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Italian Flavor Pork Sausage Roll (rather than regular flavor), omit the oregano.
Grilled Corn Dip Recipe
Yield: 5 cups or 20 servings
- 6 medium ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (Tip: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Tortilla chips
- Grill corn, covered, over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Cut corn from cobs. In a large skillet, saute the onion and jalapeno in butter for 2-3 minutes or until almost tender. Add corn and garlic; saute 1-2 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream and chili powder. Stir in cheese and corn mixture. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with olives and green onions; serve with chips.
The 8th United States President, Martin Van Buren (term from 1837 to 1841), reportedly named the following appetizer as his favorite.
Midnight Edam Cheese Spread
- 4 oz. Edam cheese
- 1/4 lb. sweet butter
- 2/3 c. beer
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 c. plum tomatoes (peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. green onions, finely minced
- Toast slices
Directions: Cut a 2″ slice across the top of cheese and set aside. Scoop out the inside of the cheese. Using a blender or food processor, mix together the scooped-out cheese and butter. Slowly add beer.
Mix in Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, tomatoes, garlic salt and onions. Fill the shell with the cheese mixture and cover with the reserved 2″ cheese piece.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and serve with toast slices.
Yield: 6 servings (approximately 1/4 c. spread)
The following recipe was considered a favorite of the 19th U.S.President, Rutherford B. Hayes (term from 1877 to 1881).
Curried Cucumbers & Crab Meat
- 1 c. mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1/2 c. crab meat
- 2 cucumbers
- 6 thin slices of bread
- 1/2 c. black olives (pitted and chopped)
Directions: In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, curry powder and crab meat. Peel cucumbers and cut them into thin slices.
Using a start circle-shaped cookie cutter, cut out small circles of bread. Spread bread circles with the curry-crab mixture. Place a cucumber slice on each bread circle and top with a small amount of curry-crab mixture. Top with chopped olives.
Yield: 24 slices