11⁄2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese 1⁄2 tsp. onion powder
1⁄8 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese Round crackers for serving
20 to 24 whole cashews
In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese, cheddar cheese, onion powder and garlic powder with an electric mixer. Chill in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
Spread shredded Parmesan in a shallow bowl or pan.
Remove cheese mixture from refrigerator. Scoop about 1⁄2 tablespoon of cheese mixture into your clean hands and form a ball. Roll the ball in the Parmesan. Shape ball into a slight oval, and place atop a cracker. Add a cashew beak and 2 black peppercorns for eyes. Continue until you’ve run out of the cheese mixture.
This Spicy Honey Chicken is covered in a rub of spices, grilled and then brushed with a sweet honey glaze for a perfect combination of sweet and heat. We can grill pretty much year round here in Portland, Oregon. Sometimes we have to stand under an umbrella but it’s totally doable! I’m not sure how…
For many people, nothing beats lounging in the backyard on the Fourth of July with good friends and family—including the four-legged members of the household. While it may seem like a great idea to reward Rover with scraps from the grill and bring him along to watch fireworks, in reality some festive foods and products can be potentially hazardous to your pets.
Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them. Alcoholic beverages have the potential to poison pets. If ingested, the animal could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases.
Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent product to your pet that is not labeled specifically for use on animals. Ingestion of sunscreen products can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy. The misuse of insect repellent that contains DEET can lead to neurological problems.
Always keep matches and lighter fluid out of your pets’ reach. Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which could potentially damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing—or even kidney disease in severe cases. Lighter fluid can be irritating to skin, and if ingested can produce gastrointestinal irritation and central nervous system depression. If lighter fluid is inhaled, aspiration pneumonia and breathing problems could develop.
Keep your pets on their normal diet. Any change, even for one meal, can give your pets severe indigestion and diarrhea. This is particularly true for older animals who have more delicate digestive systems and nutritional requirements. And keep in mind that foods such as onions, chocolate, coffee, avocado, grapes & raisins, salt and yeast dough can all be potentially toxic to companion animals.
Do not put glow jewelry on your pets, or allow them to play with it. While the luminescent substance contained in these products is not highly toxic, excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation could still result from ingestions, and intestinal blockage could occur from swallowing large pieces of the plastic containers.
Keep citronella candles, insect coils and oil products out of reach. Ingestions can produce stomach irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression. If inhaled, the oils could cause aspiration pneumonia in pets.
Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets, even unused fireworks can pose a danger. Many types contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals.
Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take them to Independence Day festivities. Instead, keep your little guys safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.